Climate Emergency Committee
Chaired by Dominic Morris, the purpose of this committee is to help radically reduce our built environment’s contribution to climate change and to help prepare for the impacts of climate change on Northern Ireland.
How this purpose will be achieved
- Propose two lists of actions that should be taken in relation to our built environment: (i) Actions to make climate change less severe, and; (ii) Actions to prepare for the impacts of climate change on Northern Ireland.
- Develop more detailed RSUA position papers on addressing climate change through the design of Northern Ireland’s built environment.
- Engage with devolved and local government including DEARA (Climate Change), DoF (building regulations and procurement), DfI (planning and transport), DfC (housing policy and urban regeneration) and the 11 local councils.
- Prepare RSUA’s response to relevant consultations
- Provide a collective expert view on climate matters relating to the built environment when called upon
- Engage and co-ordinate with other bodies in Northern Ireland and beyond who seek to address climate change including Climate NI, PCAN, Irish Green Building Council, Universities etc.
- Propose opportunities for learning, particularly for architects and university students, in relation to climate change. For example, topics and expert speakers for training events, resources for architects and building tours.
The public will benefit by having a built environment which is better prepared for the impacts of climate change and the public will be better informed about what changes we need to make to our built environment to radically reduce our contribution to climate change.
Meeting frequency/pre-arranged dates
This committee will meet quarterly, primarily at RSUA, 2 Mount Charles Belfast, BT7 1NZ from 12.30pm – 2pm on the following dates:
- 17 September 2019
- 10 December 2019
- 19 March 2020
- 2 June 2020
Other meetings will be scheduled as required between the standing meetings.
RSUA members interested in joining this committee should contact Jude Faloon by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you or your organisation wishes to engage with the RSUA Climate Emergency Committee, please contact Jude Faloon email@example.com.