Climate Emergency Committee
Chaired by Alan Ritchie, the purpose of this committee is to help radically reduce our built environment’s contribution to climate change and to help prepare for the impacts of climate change on Northern Ireland.
How this purpose will be achieved
- Propose two lists of actions that should be taken in relation to our built environment: (i) Actions to make climate change less severe, and; (ii) Actions to prepare for the impacts of climate change on Northern Ireland.
- Develop more detailed RSUA position papers on addressing climate change through the design of Northern Ireland’s built environment.
- Engage with devolved and local government including DAERA (Climate Change), Department of Finance (building regulations and procurement), Department for Infrastructure (planning and transport), Department for Communities (housing policy and urban regeneration) and the 11 local councils.
- Prepare RSUA’s response to relevant consultations
- Provide a collective expert view on climate matters relating to the built environment when called upon
- Engage and co-ordinate with other bodies in Northern Ireland and beyond who seek to address climate change including Climate NI, PCAN, Irish Green Building Council, Universities etc.
- Propose opportunities for learning, particularly for architects and university students, in relation to climate change. For example, topics and expert speakers for training events, resources for architects and building tours.
The public will benefit by having a built environment which is better prepared for the impacts of climate change and the public will be better informed about what changes we need to make to our built environment to radically reduce our contribution to climate change.
Meeting frequency/pre-arranged dates
This committee will meet quarterly, from 12.30pm until 2pm on the following dates:
- 12.30pm on Wednesday 15 June 2022
- 12.30pm on Wednesday 21 September 2022
- 12.30pm on Wednesday 30 November 2022
- 12.30pm on Wednesday 1 February 2023
- 12.30pm on Wednesday 5 April 2023
- 12.30pm on Wednesday 14 June 2023
Other meetings will be scheduled as required between the standing meetings.
Climate Emergency Committee Chair, Alan Ritchie, firstname.lastname@example.org
|Alistair Beckett||Hall Black Douglasemail@example.com|
|Alan Bennet||Alan Bennett Architectsfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Sean Cullen||Queen’s University Belfastemail@example.com|
|Maeve Gorman||Povall Worthington||Maeve@pwmail.co.uk|
|Peter Greenwood||White Inkfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Neil Hewitt||Ulster Universityemail@example.com|
|Ben James||Ulster Universityfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Erl Johnston||Alastair Coeyemail@example.com|
|Ryan Johnston||Ulster University||Johnston-R54@ulster.ac.uk|
|Donal MacRandal||Construction Procurement Delivery||Donal.MacRandal@finance-ni.gov.uk|
|Paul McAlister||Paul McAlister Architects||Paul@pmcarchitects.com|
|Barry McCarron||South West Collegefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Colin McCrossan||Strategic Investment Boardemail@example.com|
|Jane McCullough||Climate NI|
|Jayanta Mondol||Ulster Universityfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Ibrahim Mottowa||Ulster Universityemail@example.com|
|Dominic Morris||McNally Morris Architectsfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Liam Muldoon||Ecocity Developmentemail@example.com|
|Megan Nelson-Nilehn||Consarc Designfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Andrew O’Doherty||TODD Architects||Andrew.ODoherty@toddarch.co.uk|
|Albert Parkhouse||C60 Architectsemail@example.com|
|Alan Ritchie||C60 Architectsfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Will Thornton||Thornton Architectureemail@example.com|
|Aoife Wiberg||Ulster Universityfirstname.lastname@example.org|
RSUA members interested in joining this committee should contact Jude Faloon by emailing email@example.com
If you or your organisation wishes to engage with the RSUA Climate Emergency Committee, please contact Courtney Mageean on firstname.lastname@example.org
Find out more
Read some of the most up to date and relevant RSUA news articles relating to the Climate Emergency Committee by clicking on the links below