The Royal Society of Ulster Architects (RSUA) has today nominated Peter Monaghan to sit on the Public Art Advisory Panel for the Belfast Streets Ahead Phase 3 project.
Peter is currently an Innovation Technology Specialist in the i3 unit at Southern Regional College delivering training to businesses in areas such as BIM and Sustainability. He was previously a partner in Monaghan Tennyson Architects for over 15 years and has worked in both London and Belfast.
As an artist Peter has exhibited with a wide range of galleries across Ireland. He has had pieces accepted into the Royal Hibernian Academy annual exhibitions as well as the National Open Art Exhibition at the Royal College of London. In November 2014 Peter had a successful solo exhibition with Jorgensen Fine Art in the Royal Hibernian Academy,Dublin.
The Belfast Streets Ahead Phase 3 project will include public art within the project area, which includes Royal Avenue,York Street (to its junction with Frederick Street),Frederick Street and some adjacent areas/streets.
The project’s design team is currently considering public art opportunities, which will detail the scale and type of art pieces to be included at key locations throughout its area. In addition they will be developing design briefs for the proposed artwork.
DSD is establishing the Art Advisory Panel to ensure that any proposed art work will enhance the rich heritage and architecture within the project area and complement the new streetscape.
The Terms of Reference for the Panel are:
- To review theme(s) for pieces of public art work proposed by the project’s design team and to advise DSD (and Belfast City Council) on suitability
- Contribute to and review the art brief/terms of reference for procurement of public art /artist selection
- Assist in the selection of short listed artist/art piece(s)
- Assist in the choosing of a specific artist/art piece(s)
Mark O’Donnell will chair the advisory panel in his role as Senior Responsible Owner for the overall project and it is proposed that the Panel will be made up of representatives of the following organisations:
- DSD (chair) initially, moving to Belfast City Council as necessary
- Belfast City Council (officials representing art and planning)
- Arts Council NI
- BelfastCityCentre Management
- Royal Society ofUlsterArchitects (RSUA)
- Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA)
- DRD Transport NI