The foundation stone was laid by the Marquess of Donegall in 1839 and work was completed in 1840. It is one of the earliest examples of a curvilinear cast iron glasshouses in the world. Designed by Charles Lanyon and built by Richard Turner, Belfast’s Palm House predates the glasshouses at Kew and the Irish National Botanic Gardens at Glasnevin, both of which Turner went on to build. The Palm House consists of two wings, the “Cool wing” and the” Tropical Wing”. Lanyon altered his original plans to increase the height of the latter wing’s dome, allowing for much taller plants. In the past these have included, an 11 metre tall, globe spear lily. The lily, which is native to Australia, finally bloomed in March 2005 after a 23-year wait. The Palm House also features a 400-year-old Xanthorrhoea.
Born and raised in Belfast, Katie studied a BA in Fashion and Textiles at Ulster University where she developed her interest in illustration and print design, and launched her business Katie Ireland designs.
Katie Ireland’s creations are inspired by urban environments, buildings, vistas and textures from the founders place of origin. Beginning with a deep appreciation of the city of Belfast, the aesthetic of the Katie Ireland brand reflects back at us where we live and how we live. Both a celebration and acknowledgement of interurban and interaction.
Print available in A3 and A4.