Parliament Buildings, often referred to as Stormont because of its location in the Stormont Estate area of Belfast, is the seat of the Northern Ireland Assembly, the devolved legislature for the region.
The need for a separate parliament building for Northern Ireland emerged with the creation of the Northern Ireland Home Rule region within Ulster in the Government of Ireland Act 1920. Pending the construction of the new building, Parliament met in two locations, in Belfast City Hall, where the state opening of the first Parliament by King George V took place on 22 June 1921, and in the nearby Presbyterian Church in Ireland’s Assembly’s College. In 1922, a design by Sir Arnold Thornely of Liverpool was chosen and preparatory work on the chosen site, east of Belfast, began. These plans were for a large domed building with two subsidiary side buildings, housing all three branches of government: legislative, Executive and judicial, giving rise to the plural in the official title still used today.
These plans were found to be too costly, and it was decided to build only the Parliament Building, without the dome, in a Greek classical style and the foundation stone was laid on 19 May 1928. It was built by Stewart & Partners and opened by Edward, Prince of Wales (later King Edward VIII), on 16 November 1932.
Born and raised in Belfast, Katie studied a BA in Fashion and Textiles at Ulster University where she developed her interest in illustration and print design, and launched her business Katie Ireland designs.
Katie Ireland’s creations are inspired by urban environments, buildings, vistas and textures from the founders place of origin. Beginning with a deep appreciation of the city of Belfast, the aesthetic of the Katie Ireland brand reflects back at us where we live and how we live. Both a celebration and acknowledgement of interurban and interaction.
Print available in A3 and A4.